Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thoughts

I actually got on the computer today to upload some recent pictures of the zoo and our date last night, but I got distracted and found this video on someone else's blog. I encourage you to watch it. If you don't have time today, come back another time and watch it. I have heard bits and pieces about Stephanie Nielson, but I never knew a whole lot. This video has inspired me to be a better person and to be grateful for what I have. I promise you, it will help freshen up your perspective on life, which in all honesty, don't we all need a little freshening once in a while? I have been truly touched today, so I wanted to share this video with you. I hope you take the time to watch it!



I know that not many people read this blog, mostly close friends and family, so I am pretty comfortable with what I write on it. It has become my journal and I love writing my thoughts and experiences on it. This video inspired me to write down my thoughts so I could remember them. I have been thinking a lot lately. It has almost been one year since Matt lost his job. I don't think I will ever forget that day. He came home from work early, carrying a box. I looked at him and just knew. We were living in Courtney and Tyler's basement waiting for our first house to be built. We were full of hope for the future, excitedly making plans for our new house and our new baby. And all of a sudden, everything came crashing down. I felt like the world had collapsed. I remember taking a shower that day, a really long shower, just crying, wondering what we were going to do. Matt was so strong. He held me in his arms and let me cry, even though I'm sure he was even more nervous than I was. It is hard for me to believe that day was only one year ago. We have been through so much together in the past year. We have overcome such a big trial together, and I feel like it has brought us closer to each other and closer to the Lord. Matt found another job quickly. There were only a few months that it was very difficult financially. But it was a trial of our faith. Sydney turned 18 months old around that time. She went to nursery and didn't even cry once. I was able to attend Sunday School and Relief Society and really listen, and feel the spirit, without having to take care of my little daughter. What a blessing! I don't think there has even been a time in my life where church has helped me more. The Lord helped me deal with my worries, and I knew that we would get through it and be okay. I used to drive by the house we were building often, even after it was no longer ours. I would look at it and cry. I still feel like that house was ours, even though we never lived in it. I even call it our "old house." It was a symbol to me of hope and excitement for the future. When we lost that, it was really hard. We didn't know where we were going to live. We didn't know what we could afford. Our dreams and goals changed dramatically. Sometimes I still drive by that house, but now it reminds me of what we have overcome. One thing I have learned is that our symbol of hope should not be a material object. I still hope that someday we will have a house, with a yard for our kids to play in, I still dream of that house. But, my hope resides with Jesus Christ now. He is our Redeemer. He is the only reason why we can even have hope. I have hope and faith in Him and in our Heavenly Father's plan. I am so grateful to have the gospel in my life, and I am so grateful to have my eternal family!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I don't know if it's cause I'm pregnant or cause I've always cry but I haven't even watched the video yet, but I read what you wrote and started crying. We're in a rush heading out so I'm going to watch it when I get back.

Halvorsen Family said...

I watched that movie last night on my cousins blog, and I cried. It was very inspiring! I walked away feeling like I should never complain about anything. I want to be a better mom and to enjoy the little things in life. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jo. That is a wonderful video and your comments are a great message.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed