Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day is such a great holiday. I love that it is the kick off to summer. Pools open, BBQ's, visiting the cemetery- I love it. We visit our loved ones at the cemetery every year, and I always look forward to it. It is so nice to get together as family members and remember the ones who are no longer with us. Some of my siblings don't remember my grandpa at all, and Allie never met him, so it is nice for them to be able to hear stories of him, and get to know him through us. I have the same experience with my Uncle Tim, who I've never met, yet I feel like I know so much about him. It is always a nice experience.

My grandpa served in WWII- so there is always a flag by his grave. It makes me so grateful to think of those who have served our country for our (and others') freedom.


The cemetery is beautiful- really you can't get any prettier.




We always clean the headstones off, and cut the grass around them back, so they look nice and groomed. This year we cleaned another person's headstone that was looking pretty bad. It felt nice to serve another person while we were there.








Sunday was my mom's birthday, so for her present we decided to make her a yummy dinner. Everything I made was something I'd never tried before, so I was a little nervous about how it would turn out, but everything was "tasty" (Sydney's new favorite word). Or as Rachel Ray would say, "Yumm-O!" We made:


And homemade "Holmes Cake" and homemade strawberry ice cream! Delicious! Just seeing these pictures makes me want it all again!


Of course we finished off the day with singing Happy Birthday and presents/cards!




On Monday, we spent the day with Chris and Lisa, who were nice enough to drive all the way up from Springville! We had fun swimming and bbq-ing! (And the boys did a little golfing) Thanks for coming up, we had a lot of fun!





Gotta love long weekends!

2 comments:

Tori said...

Man that food looks delicious! Looks like you guys had a fun weekend.

Anonymous said...

Fun and YUM!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed