Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sewing

When I was in 7th grade I was in the quarter-long sewing class.  I remember we made aprons.  It was one of the classes that I just really did not like.  I even remember doing an extra credit project that looked like it was sewn together, but really, it was all iron on things!  I am not a very patient person, so I always just thought that sewing wasn't my thing.  (Like when we made bracelets at girls camp with tiny little beads... oh my monotonous!)  Combine my lack of patience with my quest for perfectionism, and you have a bunch of frustrating projects that take forever and never look perfect.  I always thought that I was so not a crafty person.

Then I worked at a scrapbooking store... it introduced me to the world of crafts.  I learned that not all crafts have to be time consuming, boring, and try my patience.  I learned to enjoy working with paper, and my favorite projects dealt with paper, Mod Podge, and wood.  I also learned that I was pretty good at some crafting.  Still my interest in big, long, or unfamiliar crafts was quite limited, or nonexistent.  

As I've become a mom, my crafty bone has taken hold, probably thanks to all the blogs I see.  I still don't do a ton of crafts, but my desire to do crafts has increased.  I have actually found myself wanting a sewing machine.  Whaaaat?  I still don't know if sewing would be my thing, but I have tackled a couple projects with the help of more accomplished sewers.  

When we moved into this house, Nana helped me make some curtains to cover up our kitchen window.  I was involved in making them, doing most of the pressing and ironing for them...  I am known for my ironing skills- even though I really despise the chore.  But Nana still did pretty much all of the sewing (I wanted them to look good, ok?).  Still, every time I look at those curtains, I love the fact that I helped make them!

So my second sewing project (not counting my apron in 7th grade) happened to be a dress for Sydney.  And no way would I have tackled the project alone!  Some friends from our ward got together to make Easter dresses for our girls.  I picked out the fabric, and this time I actually did a little bit of the sewing (ok a very little bit, but some nonetheless).  They even helped me make a cute matching bow for her hair.  It was so fun to come home with a finished project and tell Sydney that I had made her a dress!  And guess what... she loves it!  So maybe, somewhere inside of me, there could be a seamstress.  Or maybe just a great ironing aid for an accomplished seamstress.  Regardless, I had a fun time making Sydney a dress and at least I have a few things under my sewing belt and can say I have finished a couple projects without pulling my hair out!


It really did turn out cute... dont' you think?!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my! You did an amazing job! It looks so good! I hope you get into sewing so we can do projects together. It's scary to start but it's fun!

andrewjenniferbang said...

LOL I totally agree. Hated my sewing class, I might have even cheated a little in that class with others helping me but something does happen when you become a mom ;) Love the dress, she looks adorable!

Missy Page said...

This is darling! Funny you should write that "craftiness" has not been your forte - I have always considered you to be extremely talented and crafty! I can't wait to see what project you come up with next. Give your cute kids kisses from me!

Nicole said...

love it!

Unknown said...

I love it! She is such a little cutie in it too :)

Natalie and Nate said...

jo, you are so funny- and the dress is so cute! Good job! You are inspiring me to do more around the house too besides play with Avery and barely keep things clean and cook...sometimes.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed