Friday, June 10, 2011

Hobbies

So I went to a Relief Society Activity the other night and sat by a girl who is new to our ward.  We were having the awkward "getting to know you even though you just told me your name and I've already forgotten it" conversation.  Don't get me wrong, she was a nice girl, I'm just not the best at being outgoing and conversational.

So the first question this girl asks me is... what do you do in your free time?

Me: Uhhhh...

Her: Like when you have a little break from your kids, what do you do?

Me: Um... I do stuff on the computer.

Awkward pause of silence so I explain myself: I don't really have a lot of free time, my husband works full time and is in school
(while I'm thinking...not to mention he hasn't had a day off in over a month, Saturdays included, plus I don't have a car and pretty much never leave the house)
So I pretty much take care of the kids from dawn till dusk.  What do you like to do?

Her: I sew.

Me: Wow, that's really neat, I wish I knew how to sew.
(Ironic since I had just posted a blog about sewing!)

Her: So what do you do on the computer?

Me: (Thinking, I don't really want to tell her I check facebook, emails, and blogs a million times.)  
I have a blog, or I organize pictures... I don't know


Her: Well, it seems like we need to find you a creative hobby.



Then thankfully the activity began.

Oh boy.  I felt like the most lame person in the entire world.  I am the only person who pretty much doesn't do anything besides take care of my kids, my house, and waste my very limited free time doing pretty much nothing on the computer?

Maybe I really should take up sewing.

3 comments:

Langfamily said...

I love it, I think taking care of kids is a hobbie and everything else. C checking the internet is just our time to sit and do nothing for 5 sec. Don't feel lame.

Kjirsten said...

You are so funny! I am TOTALLY the same way. The only other thing I can say I do in my free time is read or shop (when I have money), otherwise I am one of those that is checking silly stuff on the computer all the time. Mostly it's my way of feeling like an adult while taking care of the kids:)

Chelsey said...

What's a hobbie? I seriously struggle to find time for anything other than cleaning cooking shopping and spending quality time with the husband and kids. Does my calling count as a hobbie? Seriously... I don't know how people have the time.

Saying that, you are a very loyal and well informed Yankee and Cougar fan....that counts as a hobbie and a super cool one too.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed