Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sleeping Babies

Last night I went to a baby shower for one of my best friends from high school.  It was so good to get out and see old friends and take a break from my motherly duties.  Allie watched the kids for me, which I always feel good about.  I love that she is always so nice and willing to babysit.  It's so reassuring to me to leave my kids with someone who loves them and who they love and want to be with!  I got home and both kids were fast asleep in bed.  It was so nice to skip the whole bedtime routine and see them peacefully sleeping, but I was a little sad because I didn't get to tuck them in, give them kisses, and remind them that I love them before they went to sleep.  There is a song by Taylor Swift titled Never Grow Up.  I cry every time I hear it, because it is so true to my heart.  The lyrics for the first verse and chorus are :


Your little hands wrapped around my finger
And it's so quiet in the world tonight
Your little eyelids flutter 'cause you're dreaming
So I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light


To you, everything's funny
You got nothing to regret
I'd give all I have, honey
If you could stay like that

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up 
Just stay this little

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up 
It could stay this simple

I won't let nobody hurt you
Won't let no one break your heart
No, no one will desert you

Just try to never grow up, never grow up


Last night, I went into each of my kids' rooms to watch them sleep for a moment, with the words of this song in my heart.  I kissed Sydney's forehead and thought about how big she was getting so fast.  How it seems that just yesterday she was a little baby.  I found Cooper in his usual spot, in the corner of his crib, laying on his tummy, with his blanket up by his face, and his legs tucked up underneath him.  I put my hand on his back and felt him breathe for a minute, just wishing I was tall enough to be able to kiss his forehead too, and thinking before I know it, he'll be as big as Sydney and all his babyness will be gone.  When my kids are sleeping, it is only too easy to remember that they are gifts from our Father in Heaven.  They are so innocent, pure, and beautiful.  

When you are a young or expecting mother, it is common advise to not let a moment pass you by, because it goes by so quickly.  During busy, hectic, days it is so easy to forget that advise.  But every time I see my kids sleeping I remember it.  I am so grateful for those moments because they help me keep a big picture in my mind.  They help me forget the laundry, the cleaning, the toys scattered all over the floor, my messy hair and sweats, and they help me remember our Heavenly Father's plan.  They truly are spiritual moments for me and I love them.  

Every once in a while I take a picture of my sleeping kids... most of the time, it's if they fell asleep in a funny place, because I sure wish I could fall asleep anywhere.  And sometimes I just really want to capture their peaceful faces and the memories that come with watching them sleep.  That's a hard thing to capture on camera, but I guess it's my way of trying to hold on to those moments for as long as I can.  So here are some of my favorite  "sleeping pictures" throughout the years.  Some are funny and some are tender, because I want to remember both of those feelings!
















Sleeping in her stuffed animal basket



Sydney went through a phase where all her dolls had to take a nap with a pillow and a blanket (aka washrag) at the same time as her....  This is what her room looked like every day at nap time...










Falling asleep eating...




My favorite picture of them all


I know that parents of this generation face some tough challenges in raising our children.  I don't even want to imagine what the world will be like when Sydney and Cooper are teenagers, but I have hope that I can remember these moments throughout hard times, now and in the future, because when I see their innocent sleeping faces, I want to fight for them.  I can't stop them from growing up, but hopefully I can make life fun, happy, joyful, and good for them.  More than anything, I want my kids to know how much I love them, and that with the gospel they can make it through anything!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So adorable!! I love the last one too.

Tori said...

Wow great post. So true. Love all the pics. Too cute!

janderson said...

Thanks, Jo.

Chelsey said...

This post made me cry! I totally relate to all you said. And after I read it I went and kissed my sleeping babies! Love you, Jo. Thanks so much!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed