Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Papa

I know I already journaled about our last two weeks with Papa, but I just wanted to put a few more thoughts together.  Those were crazy weeks for us, but we are so grateful that we were able to spend so much time with him and with family.  I am so glad that we made it a priority, even in our already busy lives, to be with family.  People always tell you, as you look back on things, you will never say, "I wish I spent more time at work,"  but that you will always treasure the time you spent with family, and that certainly has been the case for us.  Sometimes it still doesn't feel real.  I know that is the case for Sydney.  She asks me almost every day why Papa got sick and when he will be back.  I keep explaining to her that he isn't coming back to his house, but that we will see him again in Heaven.  Then she asks when we will be going to Heaven.  It is heartbreaking for me to have to tell Sydney and Cooper all of these things.  They miss him and think about him a lot.  I wish they had a better understanding of the Plan of Salvation.  I am grateful for the records that Papa kept, and the memories and pictures we have.  Through those things, I know my kids will be able to remember and get to know Papa.  During hard times, I just try to imagine our reunion in Heaven.  I think about the hugs that will be given and can just imagine Papa saying, "I sure love you, gal."  Like he used to.

Matt had the honor of speaking at Papa's funeral.  He gathered stories and memories from all of the Page grandkids.  It was so fun to read those memories and to hear Matt talk about them at the funeral.  Papa is such a wonderful grandfather.  He was always thinking about us.  He would text us to see if we wanted to meet for lunch or dinner.  He would buy extra peaches just to be able to send some home with us, and they were always the best peaches.  Sydney and Cooper loved being able to take those peaches home.  They also loved it when Papa would make them chocolate milk and squirt the chocolate into the glass from up above his head.  We love our memories of him making homemade ice cream and caramel corn.  And of course, we will always remember the homemade and handwritten birthday cards.  Our most treasured memories will probably be the times when all the family was together- family reunions, 3rd Sunday dinners, Christmas Eve and Thanksgiving.  Papa was always the one to gather the family and tell us all how much he loved and appreciated us.  Each and every one of us felt loved by him.  Papa had a way of making everyone feel special.  He is the ultimate example of a family man.  Family was his priority.  I pray that Matt and I can keep up his legacy, and that we will place the same importance of family in our lives, especially as our family grows and changes.  I am so grateful for the knowledge that families are forever.

Every year Papa had us turn in a family history for the year.  We printed out the entire Page Family 2010 History and had it buried in his casket with him.  We were all able to write a little note to him.  These are the notes the kids wrote:




We love you Papa!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness, so touching and sad. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories. What a special papa he was! Hope you guys are doing well, especially your nana.

sarah e. said...

Thanks for your sweet comment.

I love all your posts, even though I haven't been commenting of late.

One evening a week or two ago I sat down with time I didn't have and read your journaling post. I loved it so much. It was sweet and sad and funny. You'll be so glad you took the time to do that--you probably already are.

I love reading your blog because I think we have a lot in common and relate a lot to what you say. I am perfectionistic about cleaning too and also get it from my mom. I think you just have more willpower and efficiency, because somehow I still get behind and then finally get fed up with myself and have to have marathon cleaning sessions until the wee hours of the morning. (I'm glad that my family aren't alone in our crazy late night perfectionistic ways, though sometimes I really think we need to chill.)

I guess I just take turns with what I am being perfectionistic about (playing with the kids, taking them on fun excursions, cooking and baking, personal and family history, cleaning, organizing, etc.) and I can't manage to keep up on all of them at once. You really seem to be stellar at everything. :)

Anyway, I am so glad you all had that special time to say goodbye to Papa. He truly did leave an amazing legacy for you all!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed