Sunday, August 31, 2008

One Year

Last year this beauty was ours...


...and now we have been down to one car for just over a year.

I don't think I'll ever forget the day when we walked outside and Matt's car was gone. Last August I was student teaching, very pregnant, and sick. I had been sick for a few weeks and the doctor wanted me to come in for an ultra sound to make sure everything was ok. Matt and I both had the morning off so I could go to the doctor. We went outside to where the Acura was parked, and it was gone, yes GONE! I about died! I had to be to the doctor's office in 10 minutes and our car was missing. Luckily I have a calm husband who told me to go to the doctor and he would call the police. I remember laying there during the ultrasound just crying. It had been a stressful month and I was now worried mainly about my baby, but the car pushed me over the top. The lady who did the ultrasound must have thought I was crazy. The police don't do much for stolen cars...write down a case number, say sorry, and that's about it. After a couple weeks someone found our car, but the damage was bad enough that it had to be totaled. Our insurance covered a rental car for a few weeks, and luckily I only had to student teach for a week and a half beyond that. We were grateful that my family had just moved back, and that Matt's grandparents & brother lived close, because they helped us a lot with rides.

Life with one car has not been easy, but we have made it work. Most days I take Matt to and from work, but a couple days a week he has the car all day. It has just become a part of our lifestyle, but there are days when schedules conflict and we wonder how we do it. It is amazing how much value a paid off car can have! Sometimes I think about the people who stole our car. I wonder if they had any idea what it would do to our life. Funny enough, I'm not really mad at them anymore, because we have made it through. Trials definitely do make you stronger. We have learned a lot from this experience, but there are definitely days when I really miss this car!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I seriously couldn't believe that when you told me about that car getting stolen. I mean, you hear about cars getting broken in to all the time, but actually stolen??? Never. That is insanity. You are definitely stronger haven survived!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed