Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Our Tomatoes!





Well it has grown like crazy and we picked our first big tomato this week! Quite the exciting event!



Those of you who know me well, know that I do NOT like tomatoes.  But I have loved having our own tomatoes growing in our back yard.  We've been getting our little "sun-sugar" tomatoes for a couple months now, and picked our first big tomato this week, so we are really starting to see the fruits of our work.




It's been so fun to see something that you have put work and love into, grow into something beautiful.  And even though I don't really like to eat them, Sydney and Cooper LOVE to eat them.  They eat the sun-sugar ones like they are grapes.  So they've been having tomatoes cut up with lunches every day.  It has also been so fun to go out to the backyard and pick our own food, rather than getting them at the grocery store.  If we ever have our own yard, I would love to do a bigger garden with more veggies in it! (maybe even some that I do like!)

May 16th

August 13th
Sydney with one in her cheek- picked right off the vine

They have gotten so tall (taller than Matt) and heavy... they've fallen over twice and are being held up by rope tied all over the place.  Tyler, the greenhouse guru, told us that they have done extremely well, some of the best he's seen outside of the greenhouse... so we must have some green thumbs!




It has been fun to watch the kids get so excited about watering and picking the tomatoes.  Such a fun experience!

1 comment:

janderson said...

Oh I'm so jealous! Our tomatoes won't be ripe for a while. I'm not crazy about tomatoes...at least the store bought kind. But I have to admit that garden grown tomatoes taste completely different to me...way better! I like to peel the skin, chop them up, sprinkle with tons of salt and pepper, and eat with cottage cheese! Delish.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed